December 29, 2009

Artwork at the Corporate Level-Lessons



So today I was signed on as an intern for SOaP's (The folks who do Seattle's Pride Parade) PR & Social Networking branch. (Yay! I got into an internship!) The main thing I'm hoping to learn from being involved with Seattle Out and Proud is how to better network SOaP with other organizations and make good on those relations. I also hope to contribute my skills from designing my own art work and online blogging to the team and to leverage ideas and projects that will connect SOaP with their goals.

Those goals are:
  • To make their website more human: http://www.seattlepride.org/
  • Increase social networking online.
  • Increase productivity of the aggregate online work.
  • Be pushers in the LGBT community.
  • Connect and interact more with people in Seattle's LGBT community

The five points marked match with my best abilities which I guess worked out thanks to my friend Tiffany Pham's suggestion to contact Sandra. (Wasn't all that hard to apply really.)

My director (a very experienced branding/marketing agent) asked me to research Crispin Porter (CPB), an ad agency that is very well known for helping Burger Kings branding out as well as Coke Zero's and Microsoft's. She hopes to have SOaP have a stronger branding image with the strategies that CPB use.


Chairman of PCB Alex Bogusky is actually pretty cute, lol

After doing a little pre-emptive research before doing an-indepth look my first impressions were not great.

I think as far as an ad agency goes, my design tastes and aesthetics (people abuse this word like crazy in art school!) veer in another direction from where CPB heads.

Imaginative, innovative concepts that connect with people at the same time (effortlessly), (much like how Mac kept things simple with their Mac vs. PC campaign was entertaining and at the same time provided some fair comparisons as a product) really get to me. But the 1,000 employees at PCB just didn't show me that at first glance. (Of course.) All that changes after doing more research. The fact that many corporations use PCB speaks for their efficacy and creative establishment as a house that thinks outside of the box while meeting the needs of the giant behemoths. That and they get the job done...

The inspiration I'll take away from researching PCB would be their Environmental Design for Best Buy, their out-there Burger King ads and their super cute Microsoft commercial with 4 year old Kylie.

One thing remains true after my first day at work; I want to do my own work and I don't want to work for any agency's unless they allow me freedom to follow through with my vision/fund my personal ventures. That's a fat chance when I hear stories from people who work in the field but I'll hold to what's inside me.

This whole busines of art to meet a commercial demand is not my thing.
I'd like to cruise life without having financial burdens but somewhere down the line I can see myself doing ad work...hopefully this won't be the case, I won't be a starving art student, and I'll be on good standing with my bank account and with my conscience.

First day of work as an intern: Learned a lot about what I want in life and what I don't want in life. Time to get back to song writing.

I also love watching this!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home