October 14, 2009

In Touch

I am at my 2nd year in college at the University of Washington.
Looking at what I wrote in my application essays, I asked myself if I was completing my goals.
I answer: Yes but more.


The Question:
The University of Washington seeks to create a community of students richly diverse in cultural backgrounds, experiences, and viewpoints. How would you contribute to this community?

Samoans uphold respect for one another so much that it is almost ingrained into every facet of their society. I was taught the rich culture of Samoa; one that I believe cares most for the family and the well being of others. From a very young age I was taught how to "lomi" or massage family members. Therapeutically, this was great for a hard day's work but as a youngster I was against it. The work it took to comfort people was painful for me. However, as I began to grow I saw that there was always love in the customs of Samoa. By showing respect to all elders at all times and seeing to their needs first, care for my community at large was fostered at home. I see that the older we get, the less we are apt to change. I want to change the way we as a community foster growth in love and brotherhood. It is not only the large organizations at UW that can make an impact in its self. It is through values, like those passed down from my mother to me, that build lasting bonds in the community. I believe I can help bond those ties and build a warm and healthy relationship amongst ourselves that will promote collaboration from all fields of work. That is "Fa'a Samoa", the Samoan way. By combining every field, something extraordinary can happen in our generation. I would help to make things "Mato aganu'u", "Our Way."


Today, I challenge myself to continue on, persevere, and promote the love I was taught.

Love.

~m~

1 Comments:

Blogger bdosono said...

Thanks for sharing, Mario! I, too, feel the same way about the Filipino community. =]

October 15, 2009 at 7:10 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home