April 20, 2009

Because It's You

I am generally very accepting of people's personal style. I must, if I wish to continue being and dreaming of becoming a designer of sorts, (I am in no way a professional designer, though that is one of my goals.) view people in a different manner. I like a view point that is not necessarily judgmental and predisposed to stereotypes. Rather, I would say, a point of view that questions "WHY" a person wore this particular garment and "WHY" he/she feels so good in their clothes.

I always say this to friends and family when discussing clothes. And this is an indirect quote from Coco Chanel just so you know.

As fashion comes and goes, style as it is for every individual, is forever.

There's the essence of a person in what they wear that animates and shows what is about him that makes him so alluring and attractive. I don't just believe that clothes should be well tailored to fit you, I think they should also show people what it is that makes you essentially you.

I raise a red flag before I go further. In any commentary or critique of fashion, it has nothing to do with style. I will never attack personal style, but I will be on the offensive when it comes to atrocious choices.

The most reprehensible crime to date that I am seeing in Seattle:

Those f'ing Shemagh Scarves
I have no qualms about a person who knows how to wear a Shemagh scarf. It's people I see who don't give too much thought about the scarf's design and print that really heats my griddle.
My personal ire in seeing the misuse of this really nifty scarf is only exacerbated because I attend the University of Washington, a campus with over 40,000 students. On a daily basis I will see five or six people rocking the Shemagh. Out of those six, only two actually looked great wearing it.

What does my ranting about improper use of Shemaghi-ness imply?

When wearing clothes, make sure to give some amount of thought to how one piece will look with the other. It's awesome to be adventurous, but some adventures really don't need that much exploration. If I see you blatantly abuse the Shemagh, be forewarned, I will shudder after seeing you.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

ha! I completely agree.

I wonder wonder what goes through the head of a person who wears that thing. As they look at themselves in the mirror, as they wrap it round their neck, slowly, carefully, as they gaze upon the result....really...what do they think? "This looks good"? "This must look good because everyone else has it"? "My neck is no longer cold"?

Why am I commenting on this? I don't even know you. I think my fb stalking led to blog wandering led to your blog. Anyway. I enjoyed this entry. Good day.

April 20, 2009 at 6:15 PM  
Blogger Blue Writer said...

Ah! No worries! FB stalking is wonderful!

And I love hearing from anyone in general. :)

Thank you for your comment!

Good day to you too!

April 20, 2009 at 6:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm....why did I write the word "wonder" twice...

I MEAN--of course I wrote the word "wonder" twice! It was for, uh, emphasis!

April 21, 2009 at 6:50 AM  
Blogger wade said...

I have about six of these. but not for some blatant fashion statement. http://tinyurl.com/mscomt for more info on that one. :)

-wade.

July 14, 2009 at 1:36 PM  
Blogger Blue Writer said...

You read my old blog posts.(!)That makes me so happy!!!

Thank you for the link Wade.

I knew of the cultural and traditional origins of the keffiyeh but I didn't mention it. Moreso because I wanted to critique the fashion, and be sensitive of the symbolism. :D

July 31, 2009 at 3:33 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home